The Australian Council for Certification of the Medical Laboratory Scientific Workforce (ACCMLSW) is a newly created not-for-profit company established to administer the voluntary certification scheme for medical scientists and technical officers. It is wonderful that after more than two years of hard work by volunteers from the various member organisations that this scheme is now ready to launch. SIRT members (as well as other medical scientists) have been asking for a certification scheme for a long time, in line with our long-term aim to improve the professional recognition and status of IVF scientists.
Member organisations making up the Council include the Australasian Association for Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine, Australian Institute of Medical Scientists, Australian Society of Cytology, Human Genetics Society of Australasia, Fertility Society of Australia/SIRT, Thrombosis Haemostasis Society of Australia and NZ, Australasian Society for Clinical Immunology and Allergy, Australian Society for Microbiology, and Australian and NZ Society for Blood Transfusion.
Each member organisation has a representative on the interim Board and has contributed to the implementation of the scheme. The current SIRT board representative is Dr. Kristy Demmers, Chair of SIRT.
Although the scheme officially launches in July 2020, we are now open for applications to test our processes and iron out any bugs. In return for being our pilot testers, applications received before 30th June will enjoy a discount of 20% on the normal rate ($160 for two years for a Medical Scientist and $145 for a Technical Officer).
As this is a voluntary scheme, we are relying on your support to make this a success!
Why become certified?
Your status as a certified medical laboratory professional is a public guarantee that you are qualified, competent and continuing your professional development. It is a formal recognition of scientific qualifications, your certification is aligned with competency development and assessment processes and acknowledges your participation in continuing educational activities. We also believe the scheme demonstrates increased professional credibility and prestige in the industry.
We hope employers may look to certification as a desirable attribute during the recruitment process and when we have online competency assessment tools developed you will be able to demonstrate to your employer your continued competence in a standardised way, reducing their administrative burden.
The following minimum requirements must be met for your application to be considered:
1. For a scientist, a relevant degree in Science or Applied Science (AQF Level 7 or above) which would permit membership as a scientist of a member organisation.
2. For a technical officer, documentary evidence of completing a relevant VET sector course at AQF 5 or 6 which would permit membership as a technical officer of a member organisation (or higher relevant qualification such as a science degree).
3. Evidence of minimum 2 years relevant recent experience.
4. Willingness to agree to the Code of Conduct/Ethics.
5. Declaration of competency assessment and experience by applicant's supervisor using the pro forma available on the website.
6. CPD Certificate from an accredited CPD provider or an outline of CPD activities undertaken in the previous 2 years.
To apply please visit the website: http://www.accmlsw.org.au/apply and follow the instructions. If you encounter any problems or have any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com